We can all agree that the first half of the year has been co-opted by the rise of generative AI, in particular ChatGPT, being used for anything and anyone in any context, disrupting any kind of market or industry just for the sake of it.
I’ve been collecting links to the things that have caught my attention the most, and here’s a quick summary of stuff that happened roughly from January to July 2023 around AI and GPT things.
Impact on Work
This is where these tools will hurt the most, and the most visible effect these days is the writers and actors strike in Hollywood.
- Microsoft-Owned GitHub Lays Off Entire Engineering Team In India, Impacting 142 Roles
- I lost everything that made me love my job through Midjourney over night.
- I am a bad software developer and this is my life
- In the comments: “learn the interview questions by heart”…
- Freelance writers losing jobs
- Salaries going down
- Employers demanding ChatGPT experience
- The AI Effect: A New Era in Music and Its Unintended Consequences by Rick Beato
- Google “We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI”
- Developers don’t use Stack Overflow that much anymore
- The Leverage of LLMs for Individuals | TL;DR
- Lawyer using ChatGPT
- Artificial Artificial Artificial Intelligence: Crowd Workers Widely Use Large Language Models for Text Production Tasks
- The workers already replaced by artificial intelligence
- An explosion in software engineers using AI coding tools?
- AI is a fad and programming is dead
- If AI was a hammer
- Reports of an AI drone that ‘killed’ its operator are pure fiction
- Shopify Employee Breaks NDA To Reveal Firm Quietly Replacing Laid Off Workers With AI
- Netflix offering up to $900k for A.I. job as actors and writers strike
Articles in French
- China’s job market turned upside down by artificial intelligence
- A 100% virtual radio station with ChatGPT
- Generative AI boosts productivity and levels the playing field
- Artificial intelligence comes to Swiss tourist offices
- Artificial intelligence triggers first redundancies in the US
One in Spanish
After the great “success” of #ShadowIT: Introducing #ShadowAI — where employees will feed tons of highly sensitive and internal data and code to some LLM (Large Language Model) like #ChatGPT in the vague hope of becoming more productive or finally getting that promotion. Without any kind of review or approval. This will get people fired. Le sigh. So, so predictable.
A recent quote from Dare Obasanjo on Mastodon:
When they said generative AI would change everything, I didn’t think that meant by causing so many strikes.
Another quote, this time by Cory Doctorow from his piece Google’s AI Hype Circle:
The entire case for “AI” as a disruptive tool worth trillions of dollars is grounded in the idea that chatbots and image-generators will let bosses fire hundred of thousands or even millions of workers.
Impact on Society
I don’t think we’re ready to handle AI as a society, so brace for impact.
- AiLONE by Scott Galloway
- AI and the paperclip problem
- AI to Aid Democracy by Bruce Schneier
- Bing: “I will not harm you unless you harm me first”
Impact on Business
New Business Models
AI is giving birth to countless new business ideas; here are some I found.
- ai sum up 🤖
- Navigating the AI landscape: a guide for startups by Adrian Tineo
- Ask Rewind
- Enabling Root Cause Analysis
- 10 Ways AI Can Elevate Your Service And Operations Management
- Platform Engineering
- Control Plane
- Compilation of open LLMs available
- 8 things to know about LLMs
Another quote by Dare Obasanjo (@email@example.com):
After some consideration, I expect AI will cause companies to find ways to shrink cost centers. Companies will find ways to shrink departments like HR, legal and even IT.
On the other hand, it’ll be a force multiplier in context of core businesses versus a cost cutting tool.
Microsoft into Copilots
Microsoft has trademarked the word “Copilot” apparently, and is going all-in with generative AIs.
- Introducing GitHub Copilot X
- Microsoft Security Copilot
- The Microsoft 365 Copilot AI Event in Less than 3 Minutes
- Bing Image Create
- FauxPilot - an open-source alternative to GitHub Copilot server
- Microsoft could offer private ChatGPT to businesses for “10 times” the normal cost
- TurboPilot self-hosted copilot
Services Detecting Plagiarism
The automated generation of text has caused a huge problem of plagiarism, and there’s AI that helps detect text generated by other AI. All very meta! (Source)
- The Most Trusted AI Detector | ChatGPT Detection Tool
- ZeroGPT - Chat GPT, Open AI and AI text detector Free Tool
- Language Model Copilot and API for Businesses | Sapling
- AI-Based Plagiarism & AI Content Detection | Copyleaks
- AI Writing | AI Tools
- Even OpenAI has its own: New AI classifier for indicating AI-written text
Found on Linkedin
I found this list of links on LinkedIn, and it’s impressive.
- AutoGPT : A ChatGPT with Automations: Your new best friend. A personal assistant that does the hard work for you!
- KreadoAI_AIGC Digital Marketing Creation/AIGC数字营销创作平台/kreadoai.com: Your global filmmaker. It crafts videos in many languages with virtual people.
- Guide.AI: Your magic video wand. It conjures up explainer videos in a snap and shares ’em easy-peasy.
- Orimon.ai - No-Code, Sales Enabling, Generative AI bot builder: Your chat buddy. A sales assistant, chatting away powered by ChatGPT.
- Flair: Your personal stylist. It jazzes up your products with professional photos.
- AI Voice Generator: Versatile Text to Speech Software | Murf AI: Your ventriloquist. It can turn any text into voice, how cool is that?
- AI-Powered Meeting Recorder for Zoom and Google Meet - tl;dv: Your scribe. It records, transcribes, and summarizes your meetings, so you don’t have to!
- Lexica: Your graphic novel artist. It transforms texts into mind-blowing images for free.
- Free AI-Generated Podcast Summaries | Podsift: Your podcast whisperer. It dishes out juicy summaries of your favorite podcasts.
- Presentation Software | Basic to Beautiful in Minutes with Beautiful.ai: Your creative muse. It takes simple text and transforms it into stunning presentations.
- Arcwise: AI Copilot for Google Sheets: Your spreadsheet guru. An extension that gets your spreadsheets and answers your questions.
- Chatbot - Sttabot: Your app genie. Turn text into AI apps without a single line of code.
- TravelBuddy.ai – AI-Powered Travel Guide: Your trusty travel guide. Your own AI-powered travel assistant, making travel a breeze.
- Use ChatGPT and Claude in Sheets, Docs and Excel: Your spreadsheet speedster. An extension to make your spreadsheets sing.
- Microsoft Designer - Stunning designs in a flash: Your content wizard. It whips up fantastic posts at lightning speed.
- Leading AI video localization & dubbing tool: Your universal translator. It translates videos into a whopping 60+ different languages.
- Fireflies.ai | AI notetaker to transcribe, summarize, analyze meetings: Your note-taker. It automates your meeting notes, making productivity a piece of cake.
- TalkBerry - Your personal language tutor, powered by AI: Your language coach. Train your speech in a new language by having a chinwag with this AI.
- Pictory – Home of AI Video Editing Technology: Your film director. It auto-creates short, punchy videos for your networks.
- Skipit.ai: Your cliff notes writer. It summarizes videos and so much more!
Impact in Computer Security
Imagine AIs used to break into systems. Well, guess what, it’s already happening.
- AIs as Computer Hackers by Bruce Schneier
- Addressing the Security Risks of AI
- Links to Report
- WormGPT: New AI Tool Allows Cybercriminals to Launch Sophisticated Cyber Attacks
A sure way to raise venture capital (or at least to get some web traffic) in 2023 is to add the suffix (or prefix) “GPT” to your product.
- The quality of ChatGPT 4 degrading?
- How to Train an AI Chatbot With Custom Knowledge Base Using ChatGPT API
- Manage your Kubernetes clusters with AI: K8sGPT
- Similar one: robusta-dev/kubernetes-chatgpt-bot
- Somebody hacked into ChatGPT, found upcoming plugins
- imartinez/privateGPT: Interact privately with your documents using the power of GPT, 100% privately, no data leaks
- GreyDGL/PentestGPT: A GPT-empowered penetration testing tool
- PromtEngineer/localGPT: Chat with your documents on your local device using GPT models. No data leaves your device and 100% private.
- ChatGPT plugin for Laravel (another one)
- AntonOsika/gpt-engineer: Specify what you want it to build, the AI asks for clarification, and then builds it.
- 0xpayne/gpt-migrate: Easily migrate your codebase from one framework or language to another.
There’s so much serious investigation going on in this area, it’s hard to keep up.
- Boba AI is coming
- BloombergGPT: A Large Language Model for Finance
- SparseGPT: Massive Language Models Can Be Accurately Pruned in One-Shot
- Applied Machine Learning Days
- OpenAI to discontinue support for the Codex API | Hacker News
- Meet GPT4All: A 7B Parameter Language Model Fine-Tuned from a Curated Set of 400k GPT-Turbo-3.5 Assistant-Style Generation
- LLM leaderboard
- Why Does Every AI Cycle Start With Chat?
- Unix philosophy for AI
Free and Open Source
The generation, production, and management of FOSS code will be among the first sectors of activity to be completely transformed.
- SUSE: “AI pair programming must not be used.”
- EU AI Act To Target US Open Source Software
- Open source licenses need to evolve to deal with AI
- Open Source LLMs
- Open Source AI Has a New Champion
- Meta’s Llama 2 is not open source
Risks, Hype, and Hysteria
There’s so many people screaming, it’s hard to think.
- Statement for safe AI
- Pause Giant AI Experiments: An Open Letter - Future of Life Institute
- Do not fall for the hype
- Martha Lane Fox warns against hysteria over AI
Learn more of what’s going on in this space.
- Alpha Signal | The newsletter for AI professionals
- Course: ChatGPT Prompt Engineering for Developers
- ChatGPT for Web Developers by Maximiliano Firtman
- Simon Willison’s Weblog
- Learning is fun again
- What Is ChatGPT Doing … and Why Does It Work?
Finally, some funny stuff. The images are hilarious; credit to whoever created them.
- Companies losing their mind
- AI founder Anakin Skywalker
- 27 (excellent movie!)
- Dana Fried (@firstname.lastname@example.org)
- AI Written, AI Read (cartoon by Tom Fishburne)
- PizzaGPT to keep ChatGPT available in Italy
- Furby taking over the planet
- Rap between ChatGPT and Google Bard
- People are thrilled in ProductHunt
- Guy Who Sucks At Being A Person Sees Huge Potential In AI
- Last digit of π
- The Government Needs to Protect us from A.I. | Chad and JT
Teachers demostrating against calculators in the 1980s: